Sunday, July 10, 2011

Super Marjane, Welcome to Morocco

Imagine a foreigner, who does not speak English, visiting America for the first time and walking into a Super Wal-Mart on a crazy Saturday afternoon only to immediately lose their one native language-speaking friend!  Well, that was me, plus Baby Abraham, on our very first day in Rabat at the Super Marjane!  We just happened to have flown in on Friday the 13th and landed on a Saturday, and we needed to buy toilet paper, groceries, and other essentials to set up "home".  My heart quickly sunk into my stomach, and I tried to not look like the panicked American girl who already stuck out like a swore thumb.  I wondered if they had a customer service area where I could shamefully ask them to intercom the one person I had just met that same day.  Intercom or not, would they even be able to understand me?  A little Arabic or French would really come in handy about now, but there I stood humbled and scared.  I didn't have a car to leave, and even if I did, I would have no idea where to go or would more than likely get in a wreck attempting to drive with the relentless, each for his own traffic.  I have no idea how long it took me to find my friend, but it felt like days.  However, I did complete my shopping with a lot of help, since everything is written in French or Arabic, and I could not tell what was body wash, conditioner or shampoo.  Maybe not the best first experience, but definitely a memorable one and actually quite comical.  In no way am I complaining, well maybe just slightly, but don't worry.  It's going to take a lot more than a silly shopping spree to get my spirits down, and I have no doubt that many more speed bumps are coming our way.  With that being said, we are thrilled and thankful to be here and more than ready to take on the obstacles.  Welcome to Morocco!

1 comment:

  1. so brave DeDe! I would have been curled in a ball in the floor...rocking....lol...Miss you!

    ReplyDelete